Communication Officer [f/m/x]
Part-time (20 hours/week)
The European Space Policy Institute (ESPI) is looking to employ a Communication Officer to develop and implement a communication strategy to improve the impact and outreach of the Institute. The position is located at the premises of the Institute in Vienna, starting in May 2021.
The European Space Policy Institute
The European Space Policy Institute (ESPI) is an association incorporated under the Austrian law. It was founded in 2003 at the initiative of the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG) and it is supported by members including national space agencies, the European Commission, and leading space industry companies.
The mission of the Institute is to provide decision-makers with informed views on mid-to-long-term issues relevant to Europe’s space activities. In this context, ESPI acts as an independent platform for developing positions and strategies.
ESPI fulfils its objectives through various multidisciplinary research activities giving way to the publication of books, reports, articles, executive briefs, proceedings or position papers and to the organisation of conferences and events including the annual ESPI Autumn Conference. Located in the heart of Vienna, the Institute developed a privileged relation with the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs and with a network of researchers and experts in Europe and across the globe.
More information on ESPI is available on our website: www.espi.or.at
Fields of activities and duties
The Communication Officer will support the development of the Institute through the planning, development and implementation of a Communication Strategy.
The Communication Strategy will help the Institute achieve its objectives in terms of outreach and impact toward decision-makers in the European space sector. It will also help the Institute to strengthen its position in the space sector through networking and partnerships with relevant organisations (public agencies, think tanks, space companies…). The Communication Strategy should integrate all relevant communication channels and tools to promote the work of ESPI and establish an image of the Institute in line with its mission and values.
The Communication Officer will implement this strategy in close cooperation with ESPI management and research team. Duties and responsibilities envisioned for the position include:
- Development of a full-fledged Communication Strategy and planning of communication activities
- Management of ESPI Social Media accounts and preparation/publication of posts in collaboration with ESPI team
- Management of ESPI Website contents and support to ESPI website continuous improvement
- Support to the organization of ESPI events (e.g. public relations, on-site support)
- Support to the preparation of multimedia presentations
- Support to partnerships building and networking activities
- Continuous monitoring, analysis and evaluation of ESPI outreach and impact indicators (e.g. downloads, invitations…)
Qualifications and competencies
For this position, ESPI is looking for applicants having completed a degree in Marketing, Communication, Business Administration or equivalent.
The following competencies and skills are required for the position:
- Excellent knowledge and/or mastery of digital communication channels and tools including:
- Social Media (e.g. LinkedIn, Twitter)
- Photo editing software (e.g., Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Spark)
- CMS-websites (e.g., Joomla, Wordpress) - programming skills are NOT required
- SEM (e.g. Google Ads) and SEO
- Other tools (e.g. MailChimp)
- Great communication culture and mindset
- Great interpersonal skills
- Good organizational skills based on an objective-driven mindset;
- Capacity to work both independently and as part of a team
The working language of ESPI is English. Excellent command of the English language, written and oral, is a prerequisite. A good knowledge and understanding of the space sector will be considered a great asset.
ESPI can only accept applications by EU citizens or non-EU citizens holding residence and employment permit in Austria.
To apply, please send to email@example.com a copy of your CV, a cover letter and – if applicable – sample documentation supporting your qualifications (e.g. homepage or visual design work, etc.), with subject: “ESPI Communication Officer application” before 31/03/2021, 19:00 CET. Please do not submit educational records or certificates at this stage.
The position is initially planned to be part-time (20 hours/week). An expansion to full-time might be considered at a later stage. The minimum salary for this position is € 2,500 gross per month on a full-time basis. The actual salary depends on your qualifications and experience.